TIMELY INTERVENTION OF MALOCLUSSION
JUAN DANIEL FLORES
- Pediatric dentist especialist Universidad Autónoma del Estado de México
- Professor of masters and Orthodontics degree
- Speaker at conferences and courses of continuous national and international updating
- Instructor of Dental Photography Workshops in Pediatric Dentistry
- Instructor of Orthopedic Appliances Workshops
- Interdisciplinary practice pediatric dentistry-orthopedics-orthodontics in babies, children and teenagers
- Active member of the Proyecto Cara Feliz, a subsidiary of Smile Train, attending to patients with Cleft Lip and Palate
The contemporary pediatric dentist has a greater interest in the intervention of malocclusion, this is due to the precious interaction with patients in growth stages, so that some dental schools in the training of specialists in pediatric dentistry are including in their programs the topics of orthopedics for the proper management of dentofacial disorders.
Such guidance should contribute to the development of a permanent dentition that is in a stable, functional, and esthetically acceptable occlusion and normal subsequent dentofacial development. Early diagnosis and successful treatment of developing malocclusions can have both short-term and longterm benefits while achieving the goals of occlusal harmony, function and dentofacial esthetics.
An adequate documentation will have auxiliaries that provide us with information for treatment, therefore the importance of the elements that constitute it.
The intervention of the pediatric dentist in malocclusion is to establish a priority of treatments. What most frequently works is in dental alterations of number, form and structure; posterior and anterior cross bites; intervention of non-functional habits, identification of problems in airways.